Green For Life Environmental Services (GFL)
Phone: 1-844-GO-GFLUSA (464-3587)
GFL is the waste hauler for the City of Southgate. If you need immediate assistance you may also call the Mayor's office at 734-258-3022 or the Department of Public Service at 734-258-3075. Please click HERE for the City of Southgate Solid Waste Program Update that was mailed to homes in March 2017. It details the guidelines of the Solid Waste Collection process.
SOLID WASTE PROGRAM BASICS
All items for pickup (including trash, recycling and yard waste) must be out by 6 a.m.
- Place your trash can and recycling bin at the curb with the wheels facing your house and the lid opening into the street.
- Keep your garbage cans four feet apart and at least four feet or more from any obstacles such as mailboxes, cars, lamp posts, or power lines.
- Keep your container at the curb until the end of the day if it hasn’t been collected. Sometimes the timing of our arrival changes, and we don’t want to miss you if we come later than expected.
- It’s generally best to put your container out the night before your collection day. That way even if we’re early, you won’t miss your pick-up.
A summary of commonly enforced ordinances for the health and safety of our residents is listed below. If clarification is needed on any of these items, please consult the City of Southgate Ordinance Book which is available online or in the clerk’s office.
TRASH PICKUP AND STORAGE ORDINANCES
- Effective April 3, 2017, all trash must be placed in the GFL trash carts. Loose trash bags will not be picked up and must be in the cart for removal.
- Trash carts, recyclable carts and bulk trash items shall be placed at curb no earlier than 4:00 p.m. the afternoon before your trash day and carts must be removed from the curb by 8:00 a.m. the following day.
- Store all trash and recyclable carts in the rear or side yard in a place which is out of view from the street.
- Yard waste is collected the 1st full week of April through the last full week of November.
On July 6, 2022, Ordinance 468.01 - Parking on Refuse Pick-Up Days - was updated. The new No Parking signs will indicate no parking between 8:00am and 4:00pm. The target start date for enforcement of the updated ordinance is November 1, 2022. We will begin updating no parking signs September 2022. Please watch for updates on our Facebook page, website, Southgate Today magazine, and from GFL.
OTHER SEASONAL ORDINANCES
- Grass length must be kept at 8” or less.
- Grass clippings and leaves must be disposed of in paper yard waste bags or compost cans. Please do not leave grass clippings or rake leaves into the street which can interfere with our storm sewers.
- Firewood must be stored in the rear yard at least 12 inches off the ground.
- Birdfeeders must be off the ground – do not spread loose seeds on the ground.
- Snow and ice must be removed from public sidewalks within 12 hours of the end of the weather event during the daytime. If the event occurs during the nighttime hours, removal must occur no later than 6:00 p.m.